This course encourages learners to engage with a variety of topics, including knowledge and understanding gained from study of other subjects. They learn to become confident in analysing knowledge and opinion from a variety of sources, to build arguments and to communicate through written English.
Benefits to studentsTaking International AS Level English General will enable students to:
- become experienced in a wide range of technical and social tools
- develop skills like time management, communication and digital literacy.
- integrate knowledge and understanding from other subjects and to view issues from a range of perspectives
*Course available from September 2020, for first exams in June 2021.
Course StructureThis is a one year course leading to AS Level examinations sat in the same academic year. The following units are covered:
- Sport for all?
- The power of words
- You and the media
- The world in which you live
- Pets or produce?
- Crime and their punishments
Activities and assessmentsThe course includes the following activities: reading and exploration of current topics, quizzes, self-assessments and marked written assignments. Teachers will review and grade assignments during the course. There are also unit discussions to support students with each topic. The final examinations for students on this course consist of 2 externally-assessed papers, covering:
- Paper 1 – 1 hour 15 minutes, 50%, Essay question
- Paper 2 – 1 hours 45 minutes, 50%, Essay questions
Advice from our teachersIn order to succeed in International AS Level English General Paper, we recommend students set aside eight to ten hours a week to study. It is important that students regularly keep up with the readings and the course activities in a timely manner. And that they contact their Pamoja teacher if they fall behind or need help with assignments.